Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's All in the Name

It finally hit me - LIKE A TON OF BRICKS.

Book Flair

I've been a blog stalker for years! I've read and been more than inspired by Sara at Sara Floyd Photography, Layla at The Lettered Cottage, Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick, Kim at Three Peanuts, Ree at The Pioneer Woman, and Sharon at Sugar Ed Lagniappe.

I knew my topic - all things book related. I have tons of post ideas in my head. I have a small audience ready to read (hello my beloved book club gals), but the name...the name...the NAME!!!! A fabulous blog needs a fabulous name, right? It just wasn't coming to me. You don't understand, this kind of thing is usually quite easy for me. I brought it up to my extended family over Christmas dinner, I e-mailed my two best creative friends, I asked my colleagues, my book club, my husband, my parents. I have been losing sleep over this since November!

It needed to be book related with a feminine edge - urban, chic, fashion oriented, you get the point! I pondered over so many words. I spent an afternoon of my life with a thesaurus and a stack of post-its (which I still have stacked beside my keyboard).

Just in case you need them:
Synonyms for woman - chick, dame, lassie (Why does this word crack me up?), and madam.
Synonyms for talk - chat, jargon, text, gab.

Hmmmm, let's see... a blog named Lassie Book Jargon or Dame Chat About Books. I would click on those the day after NEVER. I almost named it Text Talk. That was when I was on an alliteration kick... Girl Gab, Chick Chat, Genres and Jeans...all cute, but all needed some work as well.

This past Tuesday, I spent another afternoon of my life watching The Real Housewives of New York City. One of the lassies (he) happened to be purchasing a birthday gift for herself - a $16,000 purse - and wouldn't you know... "it just didn't have enough FLAIR"! I almost fell out of my chair. THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you have a yearly Book Fair at your school when you were a kid? Well, I did and "it just didn't have enough flair". So, welcome chicks, dames, and lassies (and lads, too) to my blog about all things BOOK related. Oh, and I promise to add a little FLAIR from time to time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I thought I left a comment but did not see it so if this is a repeat, I am sorry. I think you are doing a great job and yes I zone out. I thought it was an age thing - thank God I am not alone. Jan was down to visit this week and told me that North's new book was not the group's favorite. I did not read it. I hope you all like Midwives. It should spark some discussion. Florida weather has been a disappointment this year but can't complain to you KY people with what you have endured. Lot's of snow days - sorry. Looking forward to seeing you all again in the spring!
Joy

3 Peanuts said...

I am so glad you started this blog!!!!! I LOVE to read and am always looking for new books. And I am so honored to be included above among those other bloggers.